Visa and Immigration

Student Pass and Other Pass

  • It is mandatory for every international student to have a student pass to study in Malaysia as it is a requirement under the laws and regulations of the Government of Malaysia 
  • All non-student passes need to be converted to a student pass before enrolling in programmes except the ones listed below:
    • Diplomatic Pass Principal/Dependent: IMMIGRATION (EXEMPTION) ORDER 1963
    • Malaysia Permanent Resident- Red IC holder 
    • Malaysian Work Permits Holder

Permission to study stamp/letter is required for the non-passes listed above before enrolling into our programmes.


Completion of studies/ Graduating students

Step 1

You are required to submit your original passport, flight ticket and other additional documents at least 1 month before your departure date to proceed with student Visa cancellation.


Step 2

You need to fill out and complete the Student Status Modification form for the completion or withdrawal from the study process and upload the following documents in i-Zone:

A scanned copy of the passport information page 
A scanned copy of the student pass page 
A confirmed flight ticket/ full offer letter from the next institution in Malaysia only

The form can be completed via i-Zone by:

Select “Services” > Select “eForms” > Select “Student Status Modification Form” > Select “Completion”.


Step 3

Students may proceed to exit Malaysia upon completion of programme and Visa cancellation. Processing duration for the form will take up to 20 working days upon completion/withdrawal from the programme. You may write to the Finance Department for further enquiries.


  • It is required by the Ministry of Education (MoE) and Immigration Department of Malaysia that all international students completing their studies or graduating MUST cancel/ shorten their student pass before leaving to their home country or country of residence within 30 days after the completion/withdrawal of studies.
  • Leaving without properly cancelling your student pass can cause consequences if a student decides to apply to another institution within Malaysia.
  • Students are not allowed to travel back to their home country without this being done. Therefore, you are required to submit your original passport, flight ticket and additional documents one (1) month before your departure date.
  • For further terms and conditions, please refer to Student Status Modification Form
  • Upon failure to comply, the International Office will proceed to notify the relevant Higher Authority in Malaysia for further action.


Visa Renewal

Step 1

Fill up and submit the Student Pass Extension Form form IO and submit it at least 3 months before the pass expiry date. Approvals from respective programmes must be obtained beforehand. The documents required are as follows:

  • Attendance (from first semester) 
  • Semester results achieved (to date) 
  • A letter of support from the Academic Head of the Department is required if:
    • attendance is less than 80% 
    • the course is not completed within the stipulated period of study.


Step 2

Walk into the International Office to collect the student pass extension (renewal) form.


Step 3

Payment advice will be issued only after IO checks documents. Therefore, students will pay for special passes and insurance at the Finance Department.


Step 4

Passport must be handed in at least 1 month before student pass expiry. Renewal endorsement will take at least 6-8 weeks from the expiry date. Therefore, students cannot make any travelling arrangements within that period.



For your renewal of Student Pass to be approved, your attendance in class should not fall below 80% and you need to achieve a minimum of CGPA 2.00 as required by the Ministry of Education, Malaysia. If your pass is not renewed within 3 months of its expiry date, you will need to apply for a new Student Pass.


  • Students who face medical issues, financial difficulties or personal difficulties may apply for deferment during their studies. 
  • If students defer for non-medical issues, they will have to cancel their current Student Pass and apply for a new one in order to register for the next semester.
  • *Advice from DOP/HOP/HOD is needed before request 
  • The deferment period granted is one semester with a maximum of one calendar year, or you will have to withdraw from your programme 
  • SSMF and the following supporting documents need to be submitted to  @email:
    • A scanned copy of the passport information page
    • A scanned copy of the student pass page
    • A confirmed flight ticket to return to home country
    • A scanned copy of the exit stamp page (upon arrival at home country)
    • Medical report from a certified practitioner (if applicable)
  • International students with valid student passes are not allowed to stay in Malaysia during the deferment period as it is related to Immigration Malaysia laws. 
  • Students may verify with the respective School on the commencement date for the upcoming semester (after the deferment period). Kindly also ensure that you obtain academic advice (i.e. subject enrollment, school fees, any latest updates, etc.). 

Programme Intake/ Transfer

Any intake transfers should be done before the commencement of the semester that the student is registered in and should not be done beyond the 2-week period. 
If the transfer takes place within the 2-week period at the beginning of the semester, the tuition fee paid will be transferable to the new programme or intake on a prorated basis. 
Students who wish to transfer need to fill out the SSMF for the transfer process. Once the process is complete, students will receive the new offer letter in accordance with transfer requests where they must sign the offer letter and send it back to [email protected].

Change of Programme

  • Cancellation of Sunway student pass (old programme).
  • Submission of documents for the new programme’s student pass application.


The above requirements are subject to change without any prior notice depending on EMGS and Immigration Malaysia. Please contact the International Office during working hours should you require any further clarification. Students are referred to Sunway College Rules & Regulations governing their academic rights and obligations during their tenure of study.