Sunway University welcomes students with special needs. A range of services for students with different types of disabilities and support needs are available. The Student Welfare Unit coordinates internal and external resources to support your needs. Speak to our officer to discuss how we can best support you.
Common disabilities and medical conditions include:
- A specific learning disability such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia etc.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- A long-term illness or health condition
- A physical impairment or mobility issues
- Deaf or a serious hearing impairment
- Blind or a serious visual impairment uncorrected by glasses
- Speech and language impairment
Mobility made easy
We have wheelchairs and crutches for students to use. Ramps are made available on the main walkways. Lifts are installed on all floors, and car parking spaces for individuals with a disability are available at the main entrances.
Dedicated parking space
The University reserves ample parking space for people with disability which can also be used by their caregivers if they choose to bring any. Staff and students who have disabilities are able to park at designated parking lots that are close to the campus entrance.
Making library resources accessible to people with disabilities
Aside from providing a conducive library infrastructure, the University also provides extension of loan periods on selected library materials and resources.
Assistive equipment and braille
Technologies are helping blind people improve their learning and their quality of life. Various types of assistive equipment and braille materials are available at Sunway University for staff and students who are visually impaired.
Facilitating education journey
Besides physical infrastructure, the University also eases the education journey for students with disabilities by:
- providing extra time for examinations
- allowing use of word processor during examinations
- using of larger font size on exam papers
- making available a reader to read questions during the examination
- providing text-to-speech devices
- and more...
Implementing better pastoral support
The University offers pastoral care services to aid students in their emotional and psychological well-being as well as assist them in:
- making the transition to the University
- liaising with the school or department about any impact that students' condition has on the study element of the course
- giving recommendations and referrals of a student for adjustments to examinations and assessments
- offering information, advice, guidance, and practical support in areas of disabilities to students, parents, schools, and other relevant stakeholders
Washrooms for people with disabilities
The washrooms are specially designed to better accommodate people with physical disabilities or with reduced mobility. For example, the higher toilet bowl, makes it easier for people with reduced mobility to hang on and subsequently stand up.
Facilitating the process for students
It would be helpful that students come forward and provide information about any disability or health condition at the application stage so that the University could ensure everything is in place and that the students will have the best and the most conducive environment to focus on their studies and have a quality campus lifestyle.
Our on-Campus accommodation provides students with disabilities special preferences according to the adjustments they need.
Tee Ching Hin
Residence Student Community
Email: [email protected] for further inquiries regarding on-campus accommodation support.
- Student with Disability Handling Process (Existing Students)
- Student with Disability Handling Process (New Students)
All information is securely held by the Student Welfare team and will be treated confidentially and appropriately under the terms of the Personal Data Protection Act 2010.
Student Welfare Unit, Student Life