Chemical Engineering is a discipline dealing with creating, developing and designing processes to produce, transform or transport products and materials. It combines the knowledge of natural, experimental and life sciences as well as aspects of mathematics and economics to investigate problems and design solutions for issues such as safety, efficiency and sustainability. Chemical Engineers pioneer new materials and technologies of the future; they design equipment for chemical manufacturing, develop and manage industrial processes that turn raw materials into the most useful products.
Chemical engineers solve major societal challenges in energy, human health, manufacturing and sustainability. They use the knowledge of material and energy balances, heat and mass transfer, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, separation technologies, chemical reaction kinetics, reactor design, and process design to create sustainable manufacturing processes, robust chemical plants and safe equipment design.
A degree in Chemical Engineering offers many exciting careers options. Industries that employ chemical engineers include petroleum refining, plastics, paint, energy industries, textiles, food processing, cosmetics, biotechnology, water treatment, pharmaceuticals and environmental engineering.
The Sunway University Bachelor of Chemical Engineering with Honours (BEng Hons) degree is recognised as equivalent to that of Lancaster University's Master of Engineering Chemical Engineering with Honours (MEng Hons) degree. Upon successfully completing the programme, Sunway University BEng Hons degree graduates will also be awarded the MEng Hons degree from Lancaster University. They will be awarded two certificates, making them graduates of both Sunway University and Lancaster University.
- Environmental engineer
- Process engineer
- Petroleum process engineer
- Design engineer
- Refinery engineer
- Production engineer
- Chemical lab specialist
- Material engineer
for Malaysian students
for international students
- Natural Sciences subjects are Physics, Biology or Chemistry. Chemistry will be given preference.
- SPM or equivalent in Science stream will be given preference.
Additional Requirements for Certain International Students
International students from certain countries that want to take some Sunway University degree programmes (for example programmes in partnership with Lancaster University) will need to take and pass our online six-month International Preparatory Programme (IPP). This is a requirement to enrol on a Sunway degree programme that also leads to a degree certificate awarded by Sunway’s partner institution. Students are required to pass all the subjects with grade C or above to progress to the degree.
English Language Requirements
- IELTS or equivalent 6.0 or equivalent
- MUET Band 4
- SPM English B3 or B+
- UEC English B3
- O-Level English (1119) B3
- Sunway Intensive English Programme (IEP) Pass Level 4 with minimum 65%
- ESL/English Satisfactory level at Pre-University programmes with English as the medium of instruction.
- Additional requirements For Malaysian students entering using an entry qualification whereby the medium of instruction is not in English, MQA requires the student to possess a MUET or international English proficiency qualification in order to register for the Engineering programmes.