Coming from a pure science background, local and international mentors, Fulbright and the IEEE provided opportunities for interdisciplinary research to Dr. Lee. An IEEE senior member since 2007, she learnt the Learning Sciences and Interactive Computing from Lehigh University, and Georgia Tech, USA, on a Fulbright Visiting Scholar Fellowship, in 2008/2009, while with Multimedia University (1997-2011). In 2009, the JCI (M) awarded her the Ten Young Outstanding Malaysian (Science & Technology Development). Overseas exposure as Faculty in National Central University, Taiwan, (2011-2013), complemented JICA’s. Two years in the Faculty of Creative Industries, Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman, augmented design/computing concepts.
Academic & Professional Qualifications
PhD. (Information Technology), Multimedia University, Malaysia (2005)
M. Education (Computers in Education), University of Malaya, Malaysia (1999)
B. Education (Teaching of English as a Second Language), Universiti Putra Malaysia, Malaysia (1993)
Salesforce Certified Administrator ID 21378277
Train the trainer, HRDF, Ministry of Human Resource Certificate No. 6994
IREB Certified Professional Requirements Engineering - Foundation Level, Malaysian Software Testing Board (MY-CPRE-FL-2019-00007)
Professional Technologist, by the Malaysian Board of Technologists (PT18070112)
Educational systems, e-commerce systems
Interaction design, human-computer interaction
Artificial intelligence, ontology
Information Systems Analysis and Design
Customer Relationship Management System
Information Systems Management and Strategy
Information Systems Analysis and Design
Customer Relationship Management System
Information Systems Management and Strategy
Lee C. S. & Lee, J. Y. (2023). E-commerce factors that motivate consumers’ purchasing decisions: A cross-regional study and local attractors and sustainers for personalization. IEEE International Conference on Information and Communication Technology, August 23-24, 2023.
Lee, C. S. (2023). An exploration towards sustainable metaverse systems for e-learning by student designers: A meta-analysis. International Conference on Computational Science and Applications, Workshop 8, Osvaldo Gervasi et. al. (Eds.) LNCS vol. 14111, Part VIII, Springer Nature, Athens, Greece, July 3-6, 2023, 511–530.
Ahmad Yusri, A. Z., & Lee, C. S. (2023). Investigating the perceptions of Malaysians, roles of Innovation Helixes and CRM models in Malaysia’s COVID-19 Health and Economic Measures, comparative lessons learnt. International Journal of Business Information Systems.
Lee, C. S., & Yew L. Y. (2022). Enhancing customer satisfaction through open innovation communities: A comparison of knowledge management approaches. Knowledge Management and e-Learning. 14(1), 81–102.
Lee, C. S., & Wong, K. D. (2022). Towards self-adaptive/reflective co-managed open generativity to augment absorptive-multiplicative-relational capabilities/capacities. IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, December 8-9, 2022, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 52-56.
Santoso, H. A., Haw, S. C., & Lee, C. S. (2022). Mediating Schema Ontology for Linked Open Data Cloud Integration Using Bottom-up Schema Mapping. International Conference on Computer, Information Technology and Intelligent Computing, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, July 25- 27, 2022, 369-391.
Lim, C. Y., & Lee, C. S. (2022). Game-based e-tourism-e-health using SQL. International Conference on Computational Science and Applications, Smart Tourism workshop, In O. Gervasi, et. al. Eds.), LNCS vol. 13381, Part V, Chapter 17, July 4-7, 2022, Springer Nature, Cham, 222-235.
Lee, C. S., & Kok, W. L. (2022). Color-gameplay, global-local processing tradeoffs: Towards personalized/ generative HCI playfulness. IEEE International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Education, Xiamen, China, November 11-13, 2022, 15-21.
Lee, C. S., Wong, Y. O., & Gui, H. Y. (2022). Differentiating persuasive factors for tourism booking websites: Towards matrix factorization. International Conference on Computational Science and Applications Workshops, In O. Gervasi et al. (Eds.), IEEE, July 4-7, 2022,1-8.
Lee, C. S., & Wong, K. D. (2021). Comparing computational thinking in Scratch and non-Scratch Web design projects: A preliminary meta-analysis study. International Conference on Computers in Education, Thailand, November 22-26, 2021, Volume II, 457-462.
Lee, C. S., & Jiang, B. (2019). Assessment of Computational Thinking (CT) in Scratch fractal projects: Towards CT-HCI scaffolds for analogical-fractal thinking. International Conference on Computer-Supported Education, Crete, Greece May 2-4, 2019, 192-199.
Achievements & Accolades
Design thinking, computational thinking across SDGs and into metaverses.
2008/2009 Fulbright Visiting Scholar Fellowship in Computer Science (while on no pay sabbatical leave from Multimedia University)
INTERNATIONAL REVIEWER AWARD
1. Reviewer Excellence Award, Educational Technology Research & Development, 2021. 2. Reviewer Excellence Award, Educational Technology Research and Development, 2020. 3. Best reviewer and Editorial Board membership, International Conference on Frontiers of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, 2020. 4. Best reviewer and Editorial Board membership, International Conference on Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, 2019. 5. Reviewer Excellence Award, Educational Technology Research and Development, 2019. 6. Reviewer Excellence Award, Educational Technology Research and Development, 2018. 7. Outstanding Reviewer Award for Computer Standards and Interfaces, Elsevier 2017 8. Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing for Knowledge based Systems, Elsevier 2016 9. Excellence for Outstanding Reviewer Award for VINE: Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems, Emerald Literati Network 2013
1. Malaysian Invention and Design Society’s long service appreciation judging award for the International Invention, Innovation & Technology Exhibition, 27th May, KLCC. 2. Best 2019-2020 overall volunteer award, IEEE SMC (M), February 27th 2021. 3. 2009 Ten Outstanding Young Malaysian honoree (Scientific and technological development category) awarded November 7, 2009 by Junior Chamber International (Malaysia). http://toym.my/2017/toym-honorees/[English], http://www.5g.my/new/biztv/index.php?q=node/1527 [Chinese]
EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBER 1. Review Editor, Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence for Human Learning and Behavior Change (October 2018-Current) [SCOPUS] 2. Editorial Review Board Member, VINE (The Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems), Emerald. [SCOPUS]) (August 2014 –Current) [Scopus, ESCI] 3. Editorial Board Member, Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning, Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education (2011-Current) [SCOPUS] 4. Editorial Board Member, International Journal on Knowledge Management and E-learning (2008-Current) [Scopus, ESCI] 5. Associate Editor, International Journal of Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management Applications [SCOPUS] (March 2019-2021) 6. Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Web-based Communities, Inderscience Publishers (2005-2017) [Scopus]
EDITORIAL (JOURNAL/WORKSHOP SPECIAL ISSUE GUEST EDITOR) 1. Conference Workshop, D. E. Drew, M. L. Tenhunen, M. M. Wang, C. S. Lee, S. B. Y. Lau, “New Directions in Pedagogy: Design, Playfulness, and STEAM”, Workshop on Playfulness in teaching-learning STEAM, International Conference on Computers in Education, November 26-30, 2018, Manila, Philippines.
2. Special Issue Guest Editor, C. S. Lee, Ma. Mercedes T. Rodrigo, Baohui Zhang, Situating Transfer through the Design of Adaptable Curricula, Methodologies and Technologies, Research and Practice in Teaching and Learning, 2014.
3. Conference Workshop. S. L. Wong, A. F. M. Ayub, M. Lukman and C. S. Lee, Exploring Educational Transformation through ICT in Emerging Developing Countries within the Asia-Pacific Region, Tan, S.C. et al. (Eds.) (2013). Workshop Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Computers in Education, Bali, Indonesia, November 18-22, 2013.
4. Special Issue Guest Editor, C. S. Lee, J. C. Yang, J. Secretan, C. Sylla, P. Branco, “Supporting, Managing, & Sustaining Creativity and Cognition through Technology, Knowledge Management and E-learning, 4(2), 2012, pp. 129-133.
5. Special Issue Guest Editor, C. S. Lee, J. L. Kolodner and A. K. Goel, “Creative Design: Scaffolding creative reasoning and meaningful learning”, Educational Technology & Society, 14(1), 2011, pp. 1-2.
6. Special Issue Guest Editor, C. S. Lee, R. Koper, P. Kommers and J. G. Hedberg, “Reference Models for Forming Organizational or Collaborative Pedagogical Best Practices,” International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-long Learning, 18(1), 2008, pp. 1-5.
GRANTS 1. Principal investigator, Sunway University Individual Research Grant Scheme [IRGS] (2021). GRTIN-IRG-21-2021
Funded: RM 10, 000.00 [utilized only RM450 for the 2021 ICCE registration fee of an extended paper of a QR Monopoly capstone]
2. Co-Investigator, Let’s Explore Arduino – A Hands-on Workshop for STEM Educators, 2021 Region-10 Workshop on TryEngineering and STEM IEEE YP- IEEE (M)- IEEE CNAG Matching grant Funded: USD150 + USD 150 (RM1, 200)
3. Co-investigator, Formation of Enhanced Explainability Deep Learning Model using Regulated Fuzzy-Rough Method for EEG-based Activity Recognition Ministry of Education, Malaysia, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme [PI]: Universiti Teknikal Melaka (UTeM), Malaysia Funded: RM 98, 821 (November 2020-October 2022-30 April 2023) [utilized in UTeM]
4. Co-investigator, China’s National Natural Science Foundation Grant No. 71704160. Assessment of Computational Thinking (CT) in Scratch Fractal Projects: Towards CT-HCI Scaffolds for Analogical-fractal Thinking, CSEDU (2019) Funded: Euro 455 from Euro 535 (Euro 80 discount from my reviewing CSEDU, HUCAPP papers’ incentive)
5. Co-investigator, Gamification-Effectiveness in promoting knowledge and emotion. Multimedia University’s internal grant MMU/RMC/RI-MiniFund/FOM/2018/011 Funded: RM 5, 440 (January -May 2019) [utilized in MMU]
6. Principal investigator, A media-model interaction design case study: Media richness and elaboration theories de(gamified) Sunway University’s Internal grant. INT-2018-SST-DCIS-03 Funded: RM30, 000 (February 2018-December 2018) [not utilized]
7. Principal investigator, A distributed socio-affective cognitive gamification model based on cognitive load and motivation theories for the enhancement of engagement among the elderly. Ministry of Higher Education’s Fundamental Research Grant Scheme. Funded: RM73, 200 (August 2016-December 2018) FRGS/1/2016/ICT04/SYUC/01/1
8. Principal investigator, Bridging the socio-cognitive-HCI frameworks: A gamified media-model entrepreneurial case study. Sunway University’s Internal grant. INT-FST-CIS-2016-01 Funded: RM26, 000 (February 2016-December 2016) [not utilized]
9. Principal investigator, Developing creative thinking and affordances in Engineering Education using Student-designed Ontological Folksonomy: A Framework Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman’s Research Fund IPSR/RMC/UTARRF/2014-C1/L04 Funded: RM26, 000 (July 1, 2014-June 2015) [not utilized]
10. Co-investigator, A Study of Self-Directed Learning Readiness of UTAR Animation Undergraduates. Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman’s Research Fund Funded: RM2, 680 (July 1, 2014-June 2015)
11. Co-investigator, A Fuzzy Association Rule-based Intrusion Detection and Prevention System for Web Service Applications [codes are copyrighted] Ministry of Higher Education’s Prototype Research Grant Scheme, Malaysia Funded: RM62, 600 (September 1, 2013-August 31, 2015) 12. Member, AIEF Resilient Children & Competent Teachers: A Refugee Community Partnership. 2012 Fulbright Alumni Engagement Innovation Fund (AEIF), US Department of State Funded: USD25, 000 (August 2012-July 2013)
13. Co-investigator, Design and development of a ubiquitous application for personalized learning enhanced using collaborative tags for social media-based recommendation Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman’s Research Fund Funded: RM26, 000 (February 1, 2012-December 31, 2012)
14. Principal investigator, Scaffolding creative thinking through question-posing and intelligent data visualization (Mathematics Grades 1-3) Taiwan's National Science Foundation Funded: TWD1, 986, 000/RM299, 028 (December 1, 2011-August 16, 2013)
15. Co-investigator, Multi-dimensional audio-visual features in search and mining towards video concept detection Multimedia University’s Graduate Research Assistant Scheme Funded: RM 43, 200 (July 15, 2010-July 15, 2012)
16. Co-investigator, Scaffolding intrinsic motivation to primary students in order to excel in academic and personality growth UNESCO Participation Programme Biennium 2011-2012 Educational Program Funded: RM 30, 000
17. Co-investigator, Conceptual Modeling for XML Databases Multimedia University’s Graduate Research Assistant Scheme Funded: RM43, 200 (November 1, 2009–October 30, 2011) [sw/codes are copyrighted]
18. Advisor, Poverty eradication among urban citizen through online and offline financial literacy educational program and common discussion forum platform between financial institutions and urban youth UNESCO Participation Programme Biennium 2008-2009 Educational Program Funded: RM 80, 750 (September 1, 2009 – December 31, 2009).
19. Co-investigator, Query Processing in Native XML Databases: A Hybrid Approach Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation’s e-Science fund Funded: RM 30, 000 (October 1, 2007-March 31, 2009) [sw/codes are copyrighted]
20 Principal investigator, Context-aware and dynamically evaluative authoring/knowledge management tool in service-oriented learning environments Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation’s e- Science fund Funded: RM 62, 000 (September 1, 2007- February 28, 2009) [sw/codes are copyrighted]
21. Co-investigator, Automated Ontology Mapping and Merging for Learning Object Reusability Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation’s e-Science fund Funded: RM 81, 285 (December 1, 2006-June, 30 2008) [sw/codes are copyrighted]
22. Principal investigator, 3-D hypermedia structuring and navigation for e-learning purposes Multimedia University’s Research, Development and Innovation grant scheme Funded: RM 25, 192 (January 1, 2005-December 31, 2005) [sw/codes are copyrighted]
23. Principal investigator, 3-D navigation of concept spaces for e-learning purposes Multimedia University’s Research, Development and Innovation grant scheme Funded: RM 21, 296 (July 1, 2004-June 31, 2005) [sw/codes are copyrighted]
24. Principal investigator, OntoID authoring/knowledge management tool Multimedia Development Corporation’s Multimedia Super Corridor Research and Development Grant Scheme (MGS) grant scheme Funded: RM 1.8 million (January 1, 2004-March 31, 2006) [sw/codes are copyrighted]
25. Principal investigator, A Neuro-Fuzzy-CBR Adaptive Learning System Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation’s Intensive Research Program Areas grant scheme Funded: RM 80, 345 (January 1, 2003-December 31, 2005) [sw/codes are copyrighted]
Malaysia Board of Technologists, (MBOT) Malaysia
2020-24 Member of the Panel of Assessors, Technology and Technical Accreditation Council, (Jan 1 2020-31 December 2021, received November 24, 2019).
Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI)
2023 Participant, Strengthening the management of funds workshop. Putrajaya. Aug 7-8, 2023.
2021-3 Member of the Panel of Assessors, R & D grants, Jan, 2021-December, 2023.
2009 Expert/participant, 'Workshop to review National Research, Development & Commercialization (R&D&C) funding', Academy of Sciences Malaysia, November 4, 2009 (organized by the Malaysian Academy of Sciences as appointed by the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Technology)
Panelist/Assessor, Innovative Public-Private Sector Collaborative Research Award Session, August 18-19, 2009.
Expert/participant, post-'Workshop to review National Research, Development & Commercialization (R&D&C) funding', Palace of the Golden Horses, May 29-31, 2009 (organized by the Malaysian Academy of Sciences as appointed by the MOSTI) [contributed via e-mail]
2008 Panelist/Assessor, Innovative Public-Private Sector Collaborative Research Award Session, Putrajaya International Convention Center, August 27, 2008.
IEEE TEMS Co-founder/Vice-chair IEEE Technology Management Council (M) (February 2014- February 2015), Committee member, IEEE Technology Management Society (M) (February 2015-Feb 2022), Auditor (Feb 2023- )
Member, Centre for Computing and Intelligent Systems, Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (2013-2015)
Founding committee/Vice-chair, SIG on Development of Information and Communication Technology in the Asia Pacific Neighborhood, Asia-Pacific Society on Computers in Education (Dec 2011-Dec 2013) [became the WICTTEE workshop in the ICCE]
Member, International Learning Sciences Society (2009, 2016, 2018)
Life member, JICA Alumni Association (2007- Current), Fulbright Alumni Association of Malaysia [FAAM] (2008- Current), Malaysian Invention and Design Society (2014-Current), Malaysian TRIZ Innovation Society (2009- Current)
IEEE Senior Member (Membership number: 41466049) (September 2007- Current)